Using pets as props — or even as models — in fashion shoots is by no means an exclusively 1980s thing (just think about all those pastel-coloured poodles in ads and editorials from the ’50s). But the tradition held strong throughout the greed decade, with cats and dogs cast for everything from cuteness to prickly pal. And then of course there was the Broadway musical phenomenon, Cats, which thankfully didn’t have any particular influence on runways or street style — it’s just ridiculous and the mere sight of a cast photo makes me simultaneously wince and laugh every time.
1. “Cats,” photographed by Richard Avedon for Vogue, November 1982.
2. Boucheron, Paris Vogue, June/July 1981.
3. Irving Penn for Vogue, February 1983. Clothing by Calvin Klein.
4. Gitano, Seventeen, September 1985.
5. Christian Dior Hosiery, Toronto Life Fashion, Fall 1987.
6. Swatch, Elle, September 1989.
7. Denis Piel for Vogue, January 1986. Clothing by Claude Montana.
8. Lancome, Vogue, September 1987.
9. Adrienne Vittadini, Elle, March 1988.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.