In the 1980s, models didn’t just pose for cameras, on occasion they also posed with them. A popular prop, cameras could be old, new, colourful — anything. And don’t for a moment think that the selfie was a strictly digital thing. Instant cameras in the ’80s may not have had a screen so you could see exactly how you looked, but they did the trick.
1. Polaroid, Vogue, May 1980.
2. Le Clic, i-D, April 1987.
3. Tyger-Tyger by Ron Leal, Glamour, September 1982. Photograph by Chris Callis.
4. Topex/Kodak, Seventeen, April 1980.
5. Gilles Bensimon for Elle, April 1988.
6. Peggy Sirota for Seventeen, June 1987. Bikini by Dunk-Its.
7. Jennifer Beals photographed by Michel Comte for Mademoiselle, June 1985.
8. Le Clic, Vogue, May 1987.
9. Lecomte, Flare, February 1988.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.