While I’m usually all for bringing back fashion trends of the ’80s, crop tops still make me whinge just a little. But in revisiting some of the images from the decade, I have to admit: maybe it’s not that bad. I should have several months to ponder this. As autumn truly settles in I have already noticed a marked decrease of crop-top wearing in my neighbourhood. So it’s a mixed farewell from me to the crop top. I’ll see you next time around.
1. Yes Clothing Co., Elle, February 1988. Photograph by Philippe Berthomé.
2. Daryl Hannah photographed by Herb Ritts for Vogue, July 1987.
3. Marco Glaviano for Harper’s Bazaar, March 1986. Clothing by Sonia Rykiel.
4. Rudy Molacek for Seventeen, June 1983.
5. Denis Piel for Vogue, May 1987. Clothing by Joseph Bis.
6. Gitano, Elle, April 1988. Photograph by Andrea Alberts.
7. Gilles Tapie for Mademoiselle, March 1983. Clothing by Jacqueline Jacobson for Dorothée Bis.
8. Jordache Basics, IN Fashion magazine, August 1989.
9. Irving Penn for Vogue, December 1987. Clothing by Donna Karan.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.