Expressing yourself through the words on a shirt or sweater has a long tradition. In the ’80s, slogan tops ranged from the socio-politically motivated to the wannabe sexy to the downright silly.
1. Maybelline, Seventeen, October 1980.
2. Krizia, Vogue, July 1987. Photograph by Giovanni Gastel.
3. Pentel, ‘Teen, August 1984.
4. Ken Merfeld for ‘Teen, April 1985.
5. Natural, Seventeen, August 1983.
6. Princess Caroline, Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie of Monaco photographed by Jacques-Henri Lartigue for Vogue, November 1981.
7. Maybelline, Seventeen, June 1981.
8. Katharine Hamnett, Vogue, September 1984. Photography by Peter Lindbergh.
9. Triangle, Flare, September 1987.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.