For better or worse, ’80s fashion is synonymous with many things: big shoulder pads, puffy taffeta party dresses and of course, neon. We loved our neon in sporty clothes like swimsuits and ski jackets, but the neon effect also crossed over into high fashion ready-to-wear. Here’s a salute to that brighter-than-bright palette.
1. Tyen for Elle, February 1988. Dress by Enrico Coveri.
2. George Holtz for Model, September 1988.
3. Jean Pagliuso for Vogue, November 1984. Swimsuit by Stephen Sprouse.
4. Jane Mohr for Seventeen, January 1985.
5. Robert Diadul for IN Fashion, January 1989.
6. Bakers/Leeds, IN Fashion, May 1989.
7. Marc Hispard for Elle, September 1987. Clothing by Stephen Sprouse.
8. Oliviero Toscani for Elle, June 1988.
9. Surf Fetish, IN Fashion, May 1989.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.