And so it goes. Today marks the last day of the Periodicult blog. It’s been great fun and an exercise in discipline to post every weekday of 2014. But as I saw it all along, it was a year-long project, an excuse to dig into my vintage magazine collection and pull out my teenage memories of the 1980s. Now it’s time to move on to new endeavours, though I will occasionally post images I scan from my archive on the Periodicult Tumblr, which is going stronger than ever after two years and nearly 4,500 posts.
It seemed fitting that on this last day I would post the most re-blogged and liked images from my Tumblr blog that inspired this one. So here they are, the images that most significantly marked this project and will from now on not only have me thinking back to my ’80s youth when I see them, but of this time, too — the year I spent immersed in 1980s image and memory.
1. Molly Ringwald, photographed by Sheila Metzner for Vogue, September 1987. Clothing by John Galliano.
2. Sheila Metzner for Vogue, December 1986. Gowns by Christian Dior, circa 1949.
3. Revlon Formula 2, Vogue, March 1982.
4. Lisa Bonet, photographed by Francesco Scavullo for Harper’s Bazaar, September 1986. Clothing by Michael Kors.
5. Max Factor, Seventeen, November 1983.
6. Tiziano Magni for The New York Times Magazine/Fashions of the Times, August 20, 1989. Sweaters by Marc Jacobs for Perry Ellis.
7. Karen Radkai for Vogue, May 1980. Interior of Dan Melnick’s home.
8. Bruce Plotkin for Seventeen, October 1980.
9. Gilles Bensimon for Elle, January 1988.
10. Saks Fifth Avenue, Vogue, November 1981.