Perhaps only second to taffeta, lace was one of the top fabrics in the 1980s. All the big designers used it prominently in their collections, from Saint Laurent to Lacroix in Paris to Geoffrey Beene and Norma Kamali Stateside.
1. Tyen for Elle, December 1987. Dress by Marc Bohan for Christian Dior.
2. Francesco Scavullo for Vogue, April 1981. Clothing by Yves Saint Laurent.
3. Steven Meisel for Vogue, June 1987. Clothing by Geoffrey Beene.
4. Oliviero Toscani for Vogue, September 1984. Sweater by Kasper; skirt: Norma Kamali.
5. Evan-Picone Hoisery, Vogue, March 1989. Photograph by Eric Michelson.
6. Francesco Scavullo for Harper’s Bazaar, December 1985. Dress by Geoffrey Beene.
7. Alex Chatelain for Glamour, December 1981. Blouse by Judith Green for Grand J’eté.
8. Tyen for Elle, March 1988. Dress by Christian Lacroix.
9. Richard Avedon for Vogue, November 1980. Clothing by Valentino.
Trend Bazaar is a light-hearted, weekly feature showcasing fads spotted in ’80s fashion adverts and editorials.